Following on from my recent WebLogic 220.127.116.11 installation on Linux, the first thing I then did was look for the latest PSU (Patch Set Update) to cover off the latest bug fixes and security vulnerabilities, that PSU being…
PSU No: 18.104.22.168.4 (April 2013)
Patch ID: YJCB
Patch No: 16083652
To find the relevant patch number, I did the following:
- Checked the Critical Patch Updates, Security Alerts and Third Party Bulletin
- Clicked on Critical Patch Update – April 2013
- Looked for “Oracle WebLogic Server” and clicked on Fusion Middleware next to the product
- This then took me to the Patch Set Update and Critical Patch Update April 2013 Availability Document where I searched for “WebLogic Server 22.214.171.124”.
Then you can download the patch from MOS (no OPatch utility required).
Set your environment:
. ~/set_wls12.env echo $MW_HOME /u01/app/oracle/middleware echo $WLS_HOME /u01/app/oracle/middleware/wls_12.1.1
Unzip the patch to the cache_dir directory:
cd $MW_HOME/utils/bsu/cache_dir cp /u01/app/oracle/software/p16083652_12110_Generic.zip $MW_HOME/utils/bsu/cache_dir unzip p16083652_12110_Generic.zip
Install the patch using the Smart Update command utility:
cd $MW_HOME/utils/bsu ./bsu.sh -install -patch_download_dir=$MW_HOME/utils/bsu/cache_dir -patchlist=YJCB -prod_dir=$WLS_HOME
…at this point, conflicts were detected 🙁
Checking for conflicts.. Conflict(s) detected - resolve conflict condition and execute patch installation again Conflict condition details follow: Patch YJCB is mutually exclusive and cannot coexist with patch(es): B33B,NST7,97L5,B84Y,1U7B,4331,WC8G,RCMZ,53JP,8PE3
This means that the new PSU patch is conflicting with the other patches listed above, so I have 3 options here:
- Forget about the latest PSU patch and leave as is – not recommended.
- Request an “overlay” patch from Oracle Support which effectively merges all of the patches (if some patches listed above aren’t included in the new PSU).
- If the new PSU contains all of the above patches, remove them first, then apply the new PSU.
Using the following MOS note, I checked each of the patches listed against the list of patches fixed by the PSU, and all apart from one were included in the PSU:
The bug numbers were obtained by running a report against the current installation, looking for the patch IDs, and then checking the JAR file names:
cd $MW_HOME/utils/bsu ./bsu.sh -report
Patch ID 53JP for example, matches up with bug 13603813:
Patch ID.................. 53JP CR(s)..................... Description............... MERGE LABEL REQUEST ON TOP OF 12.1.1 FOR CDI BUGS MERGE LABEL REQUEST ON TOP OF 12.1.1 FOR CDI BUGS Classpath Classpath type............ SYSTEM Classpath control jar..... weblogic_patch.jar Jar....................... BUG13603813_1211.jar
So, in summary…
Patch ID Bug No.
53JP 13603813 (not included in PSU)
I decided to go for option 3 and keep the latest PSU patch. I would forfeit patch ID 53JP in doing so, but I could live without that one for now 🙂
So I removed all of the conflicting patches reported earlier on:
./bsu.sh -prod_dir=$WLS_HOME -patchlist=B33B,NST7,97L5,B84Y,1U7B,4331,WC8G,RCMZ,53JP,8PE3 -verbose -remove
… and then reapplied the latest PSU (which was successful this time!):
./bsu.sh -install -patch_download_dir=$MW_HOME/utils/bsu/cache_dir -patchlist=YJCB -prod_dir=$WLS_HOME
Restart any WebLogic servers that are running to pick up the PSU changes.
Check the PSU version:
. $WLS_HOME/server/bin/setWLSEnv.sh java weblogic.version|grep PSU WebLogic Server 126.96.36.199.4 PSU Patch for BUG16083652 Mon Apr 01 11:49:03 IST 2013
That’s it, WebLogic is installed and patched up-to-date.
For more details on dealing with WebLogic PSU conflicts, there are a couple of good MOS notes here: